Yes, the bank is closed on Veterans Day. While this may be different for your specific branch, banking hours on Veterans Day are typically closed for most locations. Here are a few national examples:
- American National Bank
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- Citizens Bank
- PNC Bank
- Regions Bank
- Santander Bank
- Silicon Valley Bank
- TD Bank
- United Bank
- Wells Fargo
Be sure to check your local branch, but expect closures. In 2023, it’s important to note that Veterans Day falls on a Saturday. While many banks are often open with limited hours on Saturdays, it’s important to contact your local branch to understand how they are handling the holiday. Many are observing the national holiday the Friday before. Furthermore, since Saturday isn’t a business day, anything related to banking done on Thursday will likely be processed the next business day, meaning on Monday, November 13, 2023.
Suggested read: Find the Funniest Veterans Day Meme Here
Are Banks Open the Day After Veterans Day?
In 2023, the day after Veterans Day is Sunday. Many banks don’t open on Sundays but if your branch does, it may be open during normal hours. Again, it’s best to double-check your branch to be sure how they are handling their hours of operation. Here are a few great ways to confirm:
- Give them a call
- Stop by and ask a worker
- Check out official announcements on your branch’s social media or newsletter
- Although they may fail to update this, you can also check their hours on Google or Yelp
More Than Just Banks to Consider
Bank holidays are a tradition that originates from the Bank Holidays Act of 1971 in the United Kingdom. This was a way for workers to receive time off after working six days per week without rest.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt issued Proclamation 2039 and created the Bank Holiday of 1933. Using a week in March, FDR worked to restore faith in the Federal Reserve and banking system.
Today, we have bank holidays for various reasons. This can affect not only financial services but also other areas, including government services. Veterans Day has been a time of reflection since its inception in 1947 after renaming Armistice Day.
The bank is closed Veterans Day, yet other important services can also be disrupted during the holiday. For example:
- Mail isn’t delivered by the USPS on Veterans Day. This means both November 10 and 11 in 2023. However, limited mail may run again on Sunday as usual, but it’s at a much smaller capacity. Furthermore, post offices are closed and will be out of use for the entire weekend. Alternatives, such as UPS and FedEx may maintain regular shipping, however.
- Government offices close on Veterans Day. Some may remain open on a local level as needed, but Federal courts and most government buildings will not be available on Friday or Saturday.
- A notable exception is National Parks. You’ll find National Parks open across the country. Additionally, the National Mall is also open for Veterans Day where you can find many different ceremonies throughout the day.
- Schools may be open, but most districts close. In 2023, this means either Friday or Monday is going to be a day off for public schools.
- Finally, trash pickup will see disruption for many. Depending on where you live, and the company responsible for your trash and recycling, expect disruption on Friday or Saturday. This varies by schedule as well. You may either have to wait until a later date or find your collectors passing an extra day the week before.
Is the Stock Market Open on Veterans Day?
Markets are usually open for Veterans Day. Therefore, while the stock market is closing on November 11, 2023, it’s not because of the bank holiday but because it falls on a Saturday this year. Traders should not see any disruptions on the Friday before or Monday after either.
The bank closed on Veterans Day and a disruption to additional services is a small price to pay for the sacrifice our nation’s heroes have provided to all of us. Plan accordingly and remember to celebrate and honor our Veterans on November 11 and all year round.