If you’re in the market for night vision goggles, you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the right kind to avoid wasting money. These things are far from cheap, with several costing thousands upon thousands of dollars, and an ill-informed purchase could have you regretting your decision at a high cost to your pride and checking account.
There are different night vision goggle uses and additional variables that you’ll need to consider before making your purchase. Our guide is here to help you weigh your options and find the best solution for your needs.
The Top Considerations When Buying Night Vision Goggles
It should be as simple as finding some that are of quality, have a look that’s appealing to your personal aesthetic, and fit within your budget. These may be important considerations, but they are far from the only ones you’ll need to ponder before purchasing military night vision goggles. Take a closer look at some of the things you don’t want to overlook before you buy:
- Usage is important because night vision goggles can come in different forms and sizes. How you will use them depends on the right one to buy. Night vision goggles’ military usage is different from those used for bird watching and so forth.
- Generations are what describe the amount of performance you can expect from your accessory. Night vision generations range from 1 to 3, with the higher numbers indicating better performance. So, night vision goggles military-grade level will be generation 3 because they deliver the best performance.
- Field of view and resolution directly affect how much you will see while looking through your goggles. Magnification is not a factor for night vision goggles, as it can impair your vision and depth perception.
- Weight, size, and comfort are all important because, at the end of the day, these are something you’ll have to wear.
- Weather resistance is a factor for wearers who plan to use their devices in harsher conditions and may need waterproof goggles.
- Battery life is a necessary consideration because if they die while in use, you’ll literally be left in the dark.
The type of laser you use, if you are so inclined to do so, will also need to be compatible with being seen while wearing night vision goggles.
The right thermal night vision goggle will get you the results you desire, but the wrong choice is simply a waste of effort and money. But now that you know what to consider, get to know how night vision goggles work and the best options available on the market.
How Do Night Vision Goggles Work?
By using thermal imaging, night vision goggles can capture infrared light and display what’s happening in the dark. The technology works by using the level of heat given off by objects and is a great way to see through the dark.
Ironically, it is, for this reason, that night vision goggles technically only work because there is some form of light, not in spite of light. Of course, too much light can be blinding and renders the device unusable and unnecessary.
5 Great Night Vision Goggle Options
The best night vision goggles may be subjective, but we’ve found a couple options we believe will get the job done effectively. Without further ado, here are our five favorite ones available on the market:
1. PVS-14 Monocular
You can use the PVS-14 Monocular both as night vision goggles and as a scope for your weapon. It’s a versatile, durable option that has been used by actual military personnel for many years. Expect to pay at least $2,500, with some prices approaching $5,000, but the results are undeniable.
2. Superior Tactical PVS-7
The Superior Tactical PVS-7 is light, waterproof, and capable of military-grade night vision. Your battery life isn’t great, but this is a comparatively affordable option at around $2,900 that has been used by the military to deliver on missions.
3. Nightfox Corsac
The Nightfox Corsac is a great option that delivers results without costing too much. There is an HD camera, but it doesn’t work quite as well as higher-priced options; however, when you consider you can find these goggles for under $200, it is a great steal for the performance they do provide.
4. ATN PS31-3W
For the darkest environments, the ATN PS31-3W comes through. You receive a greater field of vision, and it comes with an easily adjustable strap to help provide the best comfort as well as the ability to adjust on the fly. You can expect to spend well over $7,500 on these depending on where you shop, so be sure that your usage will match the price tag involved.
5. Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit
You can score the Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit for under $100, and it’s a great option for budget night vision goggles. The Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit can be worn easily, comes with a focusing beam, features solid reviews, and can be used for both photo and video applications.
More in military gear: The Best 15 Military Watches of 2022 You Can Buy Right Now