There is arguably no other organization more synonymous with helping the poor, especially during the holiday season, than the Salvation Army. But did you know about their specific initiatives toward helping the military community? Veterans looking to have a brighter holiday celebration can receive support from the Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center. Soon, bells will be ringing, and there will be more than ample opportunities for spreading good cheer. Here’s how the non-profit has been helping communities since 1865.
The Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center Impacts the Military Community
The Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center is dedicated to helping Veterans and their families with transitional housing to create therapeutic environments. Specifically, they help 50 Veterans and their families each day.
But that’s just the beginning because the Salvation Army also collaborates with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to manage cases. Together, they’re able to help Veterans and their families get back on their feet and become self-sufficient.
Services Provided to Veterans
The Salvation Army services available to Veterans and their families are widespread and helpful. Together with the VA, The Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center delivers more than hope. This collaboration provides the framework for meaningful change. Here are the services available:
- Ten units of permanent alcohol and drug-free housing for Veterans.
- Arrangement of education services.
- Assessment of needs with a comprehensive case plan.
- Benefit assistance.
- Bible studies and worship services.
- Classes and groups, including Rent Well, budgeting, nutrition workshops, etc.
- Coordination of medical, mental health, and addiction services.
- Designation of job training.
- Development of a therapeutic relationship.
- Individual guidance and support in a caring, home-like atmosphere.
- Intensive case management.
- Organization of housing placement.
- Recreational activities including gardening, a fitness room, a game room, and community outings.
- Resource referral.
It’s easy to see that the resources available to our Veterans and their families go far beyond a simple gesture or idea. The Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center creates an environment and gifts tools to those in need for a better future.
How To Drop Off at Salvation Army
The Salvation Army Thrift Stores accept donations of clothing, furniture, and other goods that are still in good condition. Here, they’ll sell the items and use the money to help members of the community facing homelessness, poverty, food insecurity, addiction, and more.
If you’re looking to get involved by donating items, you can find a Salvation Army drop-off near you by clicking the link. Here’s how it works:
- Contact your local store or check online to figure out its hours and what items you can donate.
- Collect your items and drop them off at the closest Salvation Army center near you.
- Accept your donation receipt to use when filing taxes.
There’s more than one way for us to get involved. From monetary donations to physical items the organization can use for resale, all of it goes toward improving the lives of others and our community.
The Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center Is a Worthy Cause This Holiday Season
There are many charities to consider during the holidays. It’s a great time to come together and give, even as economic pressures make it harder to do so. But if you’re looking for a great cause to give back to, this is it.
This isn’t to say that the Salvation Army – Veterans and Family Center is a flawless organization. But when you give, you can do so knowing that Veterans and their families receive much-needed support with housing, food, and just a little bit of normalcy during the holiday season.
Suggested read: 50 Ways to Support the Military Community This Giving Tuesday