BBQs, cold beverages, blistering heat, and beautiful fireworks are all headed to homes all across the United States soon because the Fourth of July is upon us! Even though the Declaration of Independence was actually written two days prior, Americans have been gathering to celebrate their independence from Great Britain since 1777. Things have changed since then, but one thing that remains the same is that freedom and patriotism are going to be on full display come the 4th. So, whether you are looking for some quotes to get you in the holiday spirit, looking to kill time reading a Buzzfeed-esque article, or in need of the perfect 4th of July quotes for your Instagram caption, we’ve got you covered.
The Best Happy 4th of July Quotes To Celebrate
4th of July quotes come in all different forms. We’ve broken things down into a few different categories, including humorous, inspirational, and meaningful so that you can find the best quote for your mood. Let’s take a closer look at some of the best 4th of July quotes that are perfect for sharing with friends, exuding patriotism, or telling the Crown to pi$$ off.
Funny Quotes About the 4th of July
- “The United States is the only country with a known birthday.” – James G. Blaine
- “Isn’t it funny how red, white, and blue represent freedom…until they’re flashing behind you.” – Someone talking to the cop about to be asked to step out of the vehicle
- “And one day people will celebrate this day by getting $#!t-faced and lighting Chinese explosives. – Thomas Jefferson 1776.” – Zach Braff
- “Fireball and fireworks!” – Someone’s uncle one too many times throughout the day
- “I always have the most fun on the Fourth of July. You don’t have to exchange any gifts. You just go to the beach and watch fireworks.” – James Lafferty
- “Four score and seven beers ago…” – Every kid in a frat since the dawn of time
- “It’s Fourth of July weekend, or, as I call it, Exploding Christmas.” – Stephen Colbert
- “I like my coffee black and my tea in the harbor.” – The company selling your aunt personalized t-shirts on Facebook
Inspiring 4th of July Quotes
- “Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.” – Marquis de Lafayette
- “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” – President Harry S. Truman
- “My father described this tall lady who stands in the middle of the New York harbor, holding high a torch to welcome people seeking freedom in America. I instantly fell in love.” – Yakov Smirnoff
- “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” – William Faulkner
Meaningful 4th of July Quotes
- “The essence of America — that which really unites us — is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion — it is an idea —and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn’t matter where you came from but where you are going.” – Condoleezza Rice
- “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “I don’t believe in the Constitution because I’m American. I’m American because I believe in the Constitution.” – J.S.B. Morse
- “Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong.” – James Bryce
- “So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” – George Washington
- “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America.” – Bill Clinton
Share Your Favorite Quotes This 4th
These great quotes about the 4th of July are a great way to get into the holiday spirit as we all gather to celebrate the birthday of America. There is no shortage of patriotic Independence Day quotes, but the best 4th of July quotes will come from the memories we create that day through conversation and laughter with our fellow citizens. Have a happy 4th, and remember to celebrate responsibly!